Great win and we move on!
Chelsea already had one foot in the quarters but needed to continue their good form and they did it in emphatic fashion. Sarri selected a lineup that pleased the fans as Kepa started in goal, while Zappacosta, Rudiger, Christensen, and Alonso started in defence. Kovacic started in the regista position with Kante and Loftus-Cheek starting in midfield. Willian, Giroud, and Hudson-Odoi started upfront. You can’t please everyone though and with RLC and CHO starting some fans then jumped on the Ampadu bandwagon.
Chelsea started in another level from the get go and Giroud opened the scoring in the 5th minute after a cross was knocked down by Loftus-Cheek for a Giroud tap in. Chelsea continued to dominate the game and create a lot of space for runs. Giroud then doubled the lead in the 33rd minute after Alonso made a brilliant pass into his path to see the Frenchman tap in for his 2nd. Alonso then scored the 3rd right before half time as Hudson-Odoi crossed the ball in from the right for a tap in by the Spaniard. Giroud then completed his hattrick in the 2nd half as Willian crossed the ball in for a header in the 59th minute. Hudson-Odoi continued his fine form by sealing the win after Giroud played a ball into his path which he took in his stride and finished brilliantly. Chelsea put 5 past Kyiv and reached the quarters. Post-match Sarri praised the whole team and in regards to Loftus-Cheek he said that he has the potential to be one of the best midfielders in Europe. CHO also received praise but Sarri stated that he had to stay grounded and keep working hard. Kyiv did put the ball into the back of the net twice but they were both ruled offside.
- Kepa – Another clean sheet and not much to do in the game.
- Zappacosta – A good game and a clean sheet to his name.
- Rudiger – Another solid performance but not much to do.
- Christensen – Continues to get more and more game time and continues to impress.
- Kovacic – Way better in the regista role than playing further forward, a good game and an amazing bit of skill in the first half.
- Kante – His usual level of epic Kante seems to have no limits to his stamina.
- Loftus-Cheek – First start as he continues his path to full fitness, an assist to his name and a good display to impress Sarri.
- Hudson-Odoi – Decent in the first half but great in the 2nd as he started once again and got a goal once again. Sarri seems to be gaining faith in him and he is rewarding Sarri with goals.
- Giroud – A hattrick for Giroud as he made it 10 goals in 9 games in the Europa League. Should Giroud start a Premier League game or two. Maybe.
- Willian – An assist to his name and better on the left hand side than on the right.
Jorginho, Pedro, and Azpi came on for Kante, Zappacosta, and Willian in the 2nd half as Chelsea saw out the win. Chelsea now travel to Everton as we continue our journey for a top four finish. COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!