Skip to content

Chelsea vs. Tottenham MW 10 Preview

It’s that time of the season again!

Chelsea welcome league leaders Tottenham to Stamford Bridge on Sunday for what is going to be a fiery London Derby. This will be the 3rd league meeting between Lampard and Mourinho with Lampard having won both the fixtures against Tottenham last season. This season Chelsea have already played Tottenham in the Carabao Cup a game which we lost on penalties. Tottenham have had a brilliant start to the season with 6 wins 2 draws and 1 defeat having scored 21 goals and conceded 9 the lowest in the league.

Tottenham have been able to make some key signings this season which has allowed them to push higher up the table. Hojberg has arguably been the most important as he has added the solidity to the midfield that every Mourinho side needs. The combative midfielder has been able to patrol the middle of the pitch and break teams down. The other key players have been Kane and Son who have built an extremely dangerous relationship this season. Bale still hasn’t made any real impact while Reguilon has been a good addition to the team as well. Unlike last season Spurs this season have more solidity and cohesion in their team and while they have been able to score goals their recent wins have shown a more Mourinhoesque approach to winning games. 

Chelsea go into this game sitting 3rd in the table 2 points behind Spurs having scored a goal more and conceded a goal more. The momentum is great having won in Rennes and the Champions League Round of 16 place in the pocket, Chelsea can move along with their league situation. The 90% chance will be that Tottenham will sit back and soak in the pressure while countering with the likes of Son and Kane. The 10% chance is that Mourinho will actually try and press Chelsea into losing possession and in either case Chelsea should be able to match Spurs. We have the players to unlock deep defences now and in that case Ziyech will be key while if Tottenham open up and venture forward the pace in our team is scary. It will be a game between two evenly matched teams who are on an upward curve in terms of progression. 

Chelsea Team Preview

Lampard has said that he has a fully fit squad available to him. Pulisic is back for selection while Havertz is also now available. Lampard last season switched to a 3-4-3 for the games against Spurs but I think he needs to stick with the 4-3-3 this time. It’s a well balanced formation with better players and the players know it in and out. Mendy should start in goal with Reece James, Zouma, Silva and Chilwell in defence. Kante should return at CDM with Mount and Havertz starting in midfield. Up front is the tricky situation, Tammy and Ziyech will start the game the question is whether Werner starts. Werner seems to be needing a rest in recent games having missed some chances in front of goal and with Pulisic back he can be afforded that. The flip side is whether we want to throw Pulisic into what will be a very physical game. I think Lampard will stick with Werner but I have no problem if he is rested and Pulisic plays. 

Tottenham Team Preview

Mourinho rested 10 of his 11 players that started against Man City in the midweek game and so we can expect the lineup to return to that. The big miss will be Alderweireld who is out injured but it seems like Joe Rodon is the choice to replace him at the back. Reguilon poses a threat from left back while Hojberg and Sissoko provide that defensive solidity in front of the centre backs. Ndombele seems like a new player this season and with the likes of Bergwijn, Son and Kane around there is plenty of pace to burn. The likes of Bale, Moura, Lo Celso can all pose a threat from the bench. 

Starting XI Prediction

IMG_0796

IMG_0797

Chelsea vs. Spurs is always a massive game, add to that it’s Lampard vs. Mourinho, add to that it’s a top 3 clash, add to that it’s the 1000th game in the Abramovich era. It’s going to be an exciting game and a loss for either team won’t really mean much going forward but a win is going to be a massive boost. COME ON CHELSEA!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: